Start of mission
March 3, 2020
Type of contract
CDI/ Permanent Contract
DescriptionOverall Objectives and Purpose of the role
Within the Product Portfolio Strategy & Business Development group, reporting to the Senior Director, Intellectual Property, you will be part of the Intellectual Property (IP) team. You will be actively involved in the strategy of ensuring that the company's products have freedom-to-operate and benefit from market exclusivity.
As part of the IP team, and in a matrix-based organization, your principal role will be to handle IP matters for selected therapeutic development programs. This will include identifying inventions, drafting patent applications and overseeing their prosecution worldwide. You will act as a key advisor to the particular development programs, raising IP-awareness among scientists and ensuring that the company has access to any third-party IP needed to bring it products to market.
The company will encourage your efforts to seek qualification as European Patent Attorney, and will cover the cost of training courses.
ProfileMain responsibilities and key tasks
Protecting the exclusivity of our products:
- Attend project meetings and liaise with scientists in order to identify innovations and determine the best means for their protection.
- Provide advice and assistance on all matters relating to invention management and preparation of patent applications.
- Draft and file patent applications.
- Instruct outside counsel in the course of patent prosecution, including preparation of draft responses to office actions.
- Support Senior Director, IP to create and implement global strategic approaches toward building patent portfolios and providing value to the company.
- Perform patent searches and analyze third party patents and patent applications as part of freedom-to-operate evaluations.
- Monitor patent activity of key competitors. Conduct legal, technical and scientific research and gather evidence.
- Attend project meetings and provide advice as to any third party IP rights that are required as a function of the technical approaches proposed.
- Develop and communicate IP guidance to stakeholders across the business.
- Participate, with the legal department, in the drafting and negotiation of IP terms in contracts arising from the company's development programs.
- Protect the company's IP by enforcing statutory, regulatory and contractual obligations and by securing intellectual property rights and protection.
Experience and Qualifications
- Master's degree or Ph.D. in Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or Chemistry
- A diploma in IP (for example the CEIPI patent program)
- 1-3 years of experience in an IP-related position, including experience in patent application drafting
- Experience in a patent law firm or in a global pharmaceutical company
- Experience in PCT and/or EP patent filings
- A strong willingness to study IP law and qualify as an European patent attorney
Competencies, Skills and Behaviours
- Experience in analyzing and drafting patent applications
- Highly knowledgeable on technical, scientific and legal aspects of IP
- Ability to read, write and speak English, notably with strong English writing skills (French would be an advantage also
- Experience in prior art searching and/or freedom-to-operate searching using patent databases is an advantage
- Team spirit, highly motivated and able to work within a team
- Pro-active and able to take the initiative to complete tasks
- Strong interpersonal ability to work cross-functionally across all levels both internally and externally
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to simplify complex information
- Negotiation and constructive argumentation skills
- Ability to work with precision, with a high level of attention to detail
- Analytical thinker with strong conceptual and research skills
- Able to work with autonomy and unsupervised
- Outstanding organization skills
- Effective time management skills
- Able to manage multiple projects/ activities with rapidly changing priorities
- Ability to work in a transversal environment, notably in the context of R&D programs
- Adaptable and versatile learner